Last week I wrote about the four main areas where small sustainable changes can really improve your overall health and wellness, today I wrap up this series with brain and spinal health.
Your brain and spinal function is very important to your health and wellness.
Remember my garden hose analogy?
Your spine is a drip hose that is laying throughout your garden set to water your flowers each day. A hose with a kink in it will not water the flowers as it should. In time, the flowers will wither. The blooms will not be as large. They could potentially die. Your spinal cord and the nerves that travel throughout your body are the garden hose. A blocked pathway between your brain and any body system causes a distress in the body. The body will not perform at its full capacity and will struggle to heal itself.
My family has been under chiropractic care for over 12 years. I have seen first hand the healing benefits of a healthy spine. We have used chiropractic care to aid in healing ear infections, sinus pressure, flu, headaches, back pain, knee, wrist, ankle pain, and so much more.
I am not saying that chiropractic is the only doctor someone should see.
I am not saying it is the only way to achieve health.
However, I do believe they have a very strong influence in helping the body heal itself and help all the bodily systems function at a higher level.
When deciding on a chiropractor for yourself and your family, take the time to check them out. Make sure their views on health and wellness align with yours. Great chiropractors will offer free classes on health and wellness to their patients. They will also treat you like family because they care about you, not treat you like a client.
Small things you can do even without a chiropractor to help align your spine:
If you have any known medical condition or spinal injury, consult your doctor or chiropractor before beginning any program or suggestions listed below.
- Sit in an ergonomic chair while at a desk – This has been very helpful to my husband who has a bulging disk.
- Use a small portable arch support to help your back and or neck achieve more natural alignment. – My husband received one of these for Christmas and he uses it daily.
- Practice yoga positions: downward dog, child’s pose, corpse. and happy baby.
- These yoga positions are also helpful for your mental well-being
- When standing, use correct posture: stand tall, hips tucked, shoulders back, and head neutral.
- Put your phone down. Tip your head back so you are looking up at the ceiling or sky and hold for a count of 10. Repeat multiple times a day.
- Make sure your pillow is the right size and firmness for your needs- These are the ones we use.
- If you sit for long periods of time, get up and walk around at least once an hour.
When you add up a small sustainable change in any or all of these areas, you are compounding the effect over a long period of time.
- Moving your body more adds up to stronger muscles, bone density, self-confidence, weight loss and functioning better on a daily basis.
- Healthy food choices add up to better heart and brain health, weight loss, and longevity.
- Practicing mental relaxation and mindfulness adds up to a calmer mind and body, less anxiety and stress, and lower cortisol in the body.
- Supplementing your diet with missing nutrients adds to mental clarity and better organ function.
- Optimizing your brain and spine function adds up to better hormone, organ, and brain function.
I don’t know about you, but I can absolutely do a little over a long period of time! The results along the way are measurable and life changing. If you want to know more about how small sustainable changes can change your life, check out Darren Hardy’s book, “Compound Effect.” I was so moved by his teachings, I paid my kids to read his book and write a short summary after each chapter.
I want to hear from you! Which of the five areas of health do you commit to making small sustainable changes?
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which means that if you choose to make a purchase, I will earn a commission. This commission comes at no additional cost to you. Please understand that I have experience with all of these products, and I recommend them because they are helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I make if you decide to buy something. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.